Last year I made a style resolution to purchase for quality over quantity – that is, buy a few “nicer” items rather than lots of poor-quality but cheap clothes. Hmmm…given my penchant for Old Navy and H&M I’m not sure I quite followed that resolution. But I did buy fewer things, so I give myself a little credit there.
However, some people take it to the extreme when considering items “quality” just because they are more expensive. I came across this list a week or so ago and just had to share – The Most Outrageously Expensive Fashion Items of 2011 (from Stylelist.com):
- Marilyn Monroe’s iconic white dress from “The Seven-Year Itch” – $4.6 million
- The Victoria’s Secret 2011 Secret Fantasy Treasure Bra – $2.5 million
- DKNY Golden Delicious fragrance bottle – $1 million
- Hermes Birkin Bag (Exceptional Collection Shiny Rouge H Porosus Crocodile 30 cm Birkin Bag with Solid 18K White Gold & Diamond Hardware) sold at an auction $203,150
- The Row’s alligator bag – $39,000
- Roger Vivier pump from 1962 sold at an auction – $26,385
- 24-karat-gold shoelaces by Mr. Kennedy – $19,000
- Chipkos flip-flops, hand-painted by L.A. artist David Palmer – $18,000
- Gucci bike – $14,000
- 24-karat-gold necktie – $8,500
To see the complete slide show with item details, click here. I can’t really imagine who needs 24-karat-gold shoelaces or $18,000 flip-flops, but it’s fun to just look at these outlandish items. Actually, I know exactly who would own these…if you’ve been watching Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, you might have seen Dana Wilkey bragging about her outrageously priced sunglasses:
I think this year my style resolution might center more around purging my closet of clothing I don’t wear so I can see all of the clothes I really do love better, making it easier to get ready in the morning. I find when doing so I actually re-discover some pieces as well and they become new favorites. What are your style resolutions for 2012?